Preparation Time: 45 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 Minutes
Serving Size: 4
1 1/3 cups basmati rice
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons cilantro, divided
2/3 cup cucumber, medium dice
1/4 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons ginger, finely chopped
8 each green cardamom pods
4 each norwegian salmon fillets, 6 oz.
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped, divided
1 1/3 cups plain yogurt, divided
2/3 cup red lentils
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon red onion, finely chopped
as needed salt and pepper
2/3 cup tandoori paste
3/4 teaspoon turmeric
2 2/3 cups water, divided
1. To prepare the raita, combine the cucumber, cumin, red onion, 2 cups of the yogurt and 4 Tbsp. of the cilantro. Hold refrigerated until needed.
2. For the basmati rice, sauté ½ cup of the onions until translucent. Add cardamom pods and rice and toast for 2-3 minutes. Add 8 cups of water and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper, add the remaining 1 Tbsp. of cilantro and hold warm until needed.
3. For the lentils, sauté the ginger and the remaining 1 cup of onions. Add the turmeric and the lentils and toast for 2-3 minutes. Add 6 cups of water and cook uncovered until lentils are tender, about 15 minutes. Hold warm.
4. For the salmon, combine the remaining 2 cups of yogurt with the tandoori paste. Season each salmon fillet with salt and pepper. Coat both of each fillet with the marinade. Keep refrigerated until needed.
5. For each serving, remove excess marinade from one salmon fillet and roast in a preheated 375 degree oven until cooked to desired doneness. In the center of a serving plate place 1 cup of the basmati rice. Top with the salmon fillet. Fill one ramekin with 2 oz. of lentils and another ramekin with 2 oz. of raita. Place both ramekins on the plate.